Thursday, November 17, 2011

Operation Shop and Wrap!

If you've already found yourself humming "It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas" or wondering if Grandma will get run over by a reindeer this year, you're not alone. In fact, there are those amongst us who begin their holiday shopping during the July 4th sales. I believe they should be publicly flogged and staked over fire ant nests outside Walmart, but that's just me. I'm more of a "it's cold. I need to start shopping" type gal.

So this year I'm sharing my preliminary campaign strategy with you all by telling you what I've found this year that WORKS and what might be worth adding to your list. The one you leave "accidentally" taped to the remote control so that hubby will find it and not look terrified come Christmas Eve because he's got no clue what you want. Gotta love 'em, but sheesh....

(PLEASE NOTE: I don't get a dime from any of these folks. That's a hint. If I'm plugging your product then dammit...send me a token of your appreciation, why doncha?)


SKIN CARE!!!  Should be top of everyone's list because we all know we need it to varying degrees. There are about three minutes in a woman's life when her skin is perfect. Before that it's acne, and after that it's menopause. So here's my recommendation. Anything from CLARISONIC. Especially this little darling... the MIA. It'll cleanse your face like you wouldn't believe. Yes, it's pricey, but this is the travel version, not as steep as the full-on Clarisonic triple-headed, rechargeable whatsit. And this one does the job. You will immediately notice the difference. Mine paid for itself when my lovely aesthetician looked at my skin and told me to cut back on my facials. Then she went out and bought one for herself. It makes a super gift, you can even find it with a 20% off coupon at some on-line distributors, and HE can't screw it up and get the wrong size. There isn't one. It comes with it's own magnetic charging unit (that's cool beans right there), and a couple of brush heads. You'll want to replace those every three or four months depending on your usage. Sephora has 'em.  This gets a HUGE thumbs up from me. I love it.


HAIR CARE!!! Yes, he can buy this stuff and wrap it. Why not? It's a little indulgence for us women who diligently try and wait until the fun products are on sale at the drugstore.  Here's my fave at the moment: AGADIR ARGAN OIL. (The whole family of products!) Available all over the place, this line works best for me of any of the ones touting the Argan oil component. The scent alone is orgasmic - it's an olfactory delight. The shampoo and conditioner are luxurious, the intense cream is a great weekly treatment, and the styling products all complement each other and you only need a little since it really does go a long way!  Indulge. This also makes a nice gift for a friend who has everything. A pretty basket, a bunch of these bottles and a romance novel with a handsome Sheik on the front. She'll love it.

GIFT CERTIFICATES?
Groan. Yeah, I know. But...consider this.  A gift certificate from an up market store will allow us to shop for products we wouldn't usually try. I discovered Laura Mercier thanks to my Sephora Beauty Insider card points. I offer thanks daily because anything from this line seems to work extremely well for me. So by all means cut out flyers from Nordstrom's, Nieman Marcus, Macy's, Dillard's, or whoever else you have in your neck of the woods. Leave them in other prominent places. The bathroom works well, I've found. Just not with the toilet paper stash, since we all know that's not a place men EVER check. A GC doesn't look quite so lovely as a large wrapped present, but the residual effects will be more worthwhile and longer lasting than that Veg-o-Matic in the box.


THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT:  Yes, there is. Especially for us beauties who have actually hit, survived, and moved on from, the big 4-0. MORE Magazine has a lot of useful recommendations and some surprisingly honest reviews of many things feminine...from exercise equipment, through beauty products, and even stocks, bonds and investment strategies. My newest fun toy is their App for my iPhone. (Siri isn't as much fun when it comes to shopping. All she wants for Christmas is the Steve Jobs biography and a new face protector.)

MORE has cleverly added a shopping list, so if I happen to see something I want to try (like Fekkai Glossing Sheer Shine Mist - it works great!!! ) all I have to do is tap the tiny list along the bottom and it automatically gets added. (I picked up the Caviar Seasilk line of hair products from Alterna this way. Sadly, didn't do much for me at all. So not all the recommendations are spot on.)  When I get to the stores I don't have to rummage for that piece of paper I left on the kitchen counter. You know how that goes! LOL So before heading out anywhere, check your app and update your list. This time of year, every little thing like that helps.

Just a few ideas for things you might ask Santa for, or perhaps even consider giving to your nearest and dearest. The whole Holiday Shopping thing isn't always a snow covered scene from an old-time Bing Crosby movie. Sometimes it reminds me more of "300", complete with the blood and vicious weaponry. Anything that makes it easier gets my vote - so I'm always ready for more shopping/survival tips. I'm done with Malls now...it'll be all on-line. At least I don't have to do the "stalking someone for their parking space" bit. That's always struck me as particularly disturbing...at night...being slowly followed by a silent Hummer...with tinted windows... EEEEEK!!!

And yes, moving to Aruba for the duration, thus skipping the entire tinsel-bedecked season, has already been suggested, btw. But thanks...I'll keep it in mind. LMAO

Happy consumerism,
Sahara Kelly
__________

NEW IN PRINT: Dragons, Dames and Video Games - three whimsical erotic comedies just for fun...

NEW IN eBOOK: Andrew Cleese and Ms Lyon - a cautionary tale about taking fairies
literally!

www.saharakelly.com
www.skprivatelabel.com
www.partnersinpassion.net

_________

1 comments:

daydrmzzz said...

I just started the bother day with my online shopping and will be done after my yearly Black Friday shopping ;) I love doingit what can I say. Happy holidays xoxox